Sunday, May 15, 2011

You Light Up My Life

This past weekend I was fortunate enough to be able to get together with some dear friends of mine.  The way that we love each other despite the fact that some of us snort when we laugh (me), show up late (me), or bring their kids along to a girls' night out (me), is proof that our friendship is unconditional.  This circle of women that I am blessed to be a part of knows when to listen and when to speak up.  Each of us is an elixir for the other...a healing balm when needed.  Each of us has multiple irons in the fire.  Each of us longs for a chance to slow down and enjoy.  And that is exactly what we did the other evening.  As the sun set over the cedar filled hills we sauntered out of the kitchen and into the pool (our feet did at least).  The echoing calls of the resident peacock and the gobble of the pet turkeys served as our evening's soundtrack.  The farm cats lazily set the mood and we quickly followed suit.  It's so nice to be able to completely relax...to not give a flip about excess skin or sloppy posture.  Like the lounging cats, we flopped ourselves poolside and enjoyed the stories that are only funny to us.  Even though laughter was involved, some tears welled up as well.  As women, each of us has emotional strings that are alternately pulled and tugged.  For some of us the triggers are children getting ready to graduate from high school in a matter of weeks.  For others it is the fact that major decisions have to be made.  No matter the situation, the fact is we have each other with us as we plow through these moments.  As I become more and more who I was meant to be, I have noticed that God has lead me to be in the presence of people who make me better...people who build me up...people who I want to be like....people who love me.  I am grateful for the people whose light has made my path a little brighter.  I am thankful for the rainbow of love that has been reflected back to me via the prism of women I am happy to call my friends.

1 comment:

  1. Only you can write the way you do -- such a gift to so many. This would make a great article for your weekly column ;)

    ReplyDelete