Friday, June 12, 2009

In The Good Old Summertime

Oh to be able to be home! The other morning, day 2 of my "freedom from work" time, found me actually cleaning up the kitchen AFTER actually MAKING something other than cereal for breakfast! See people...I CAN keep a clean house...well...a cleanER house than when I am a frenetic mess. Therein lies the eternal domestic conundrum...do I stay home and thus keep a clean home or do I keep working and never clean again? Tough one I know!
During the second week of his summer break my son has been attending a 4-day long football camp. After the very first day he came home happy and pumped. He had a good friend come home with him to spend the night before day 2 of said camp. That evening my son tripped over some errant chicken wire and somehow ended up breaking his big toe. While I was concerned about his toe, truth be told my first thought went to the $75.00 camp fee I had just plunked down. The next morning I stopped at Walgreens to purchase a pair of unisex slides for a child who only wears boots, tennis shoes, and socks. He must have really been hurting because he put those fake plastic shower shoes on without complaint and hobbled out onto the football field where he proceeded to throb and grimmace as his peers ran, caught, and passed around him. Go team!
My son sat out day 3 of camp with the hopes that he'll feel a great deal better by the last day of camp. I feel so bad for him. He is such a dedicated and hard worker who wants to make a good impression on the coaches. At least this was just a fun camp and not the beginning of two-a-days. I suppose it can be viewed as a good lesson on injury prevention and how vital it is to stay in good condition for the upcoming season. It has me feeling such empathy and sympathy for all of the players (and for their parents) who have ever been sidelined by injury ... what utter heartbreak.
On the flip side my daughter will start her very first foray into volleyball next week as she will attend a 4-day camp. I am anxious to see how she fares. I'll have to make sure she has some shorts and a pair of tennis shoes before Monday!
Two mornings ago, as I was venturing outside to let out the chickens I stumbled upon a furry tarantula making his way through the grass and onto our sidewalk (insert heebie jeebies here). Good Morning! He definitely creeped me out more than the mating walking sticks dangling above our front door yesterday morning! This made this morning's discovery of the overly plump and excessively long scorpion struggling to climb up and out of the cat's food dish a less than excitable event than it normally would have been. I didn't even shiver nor hesitate when I grabbed the bowl, dumped the scorpion onto the porch, and squash him beneath my sandal.
Yes, a lot has been happening in a short amount of time...hopefully I'll be able to remember it all to share...that is if I don't choke on an earplug or go into anaphylactic shock anytime soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment