Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Out of Order


You would think I brought my newborn home last night the way that I received THE CALL while at the check out counter at Walmart informing me that my computer was finally ready to be picked up. Even though I had spent the past 8 hours in San Antonio (30 minutes of them in the very store where my computer was waiting for me) I was just about to head home after grabbing some much needed groceries. I hesitated all of 7 seconds and then took off in the opposite direction of home and rushed to pick up my special delivery. So what if I had meat and dairy products in the back seat of my car...in the 103 degree temperature...I was not going to let something as trivial as botulism stand in my way of contact with the rest of the world. When the transaction was completed I was asked if I needed help carrying my cpu to my car I politely declined and teetered on my wobbly heels out the door and into the parking lot. I gingerly rested my 'baby' on the backseat and grinned the entire ride home.
This morning I plugged her in and as she came to life the endless hours, days, and weeks without the internet or a computer mattered no more. My life felt complete! No more rushing off to the public library where I was tormented by the digital timer counting down the minutes atop my screen...no more wifi drive-bys. Now I can empty my camera's bulging memory card and start fresh. Yes, we can survive while our life feels "out of order" but it's a heck of a lot more fun when everything is in working order! (And, even though we're in the middle of a drought I will now be shutting down, turning off, and unplugging my baby so she and I can sleep soundly at night).

No comments:

Post a Comment