Sunday, May 3, 2009

Who Was That Masked Mama?


What may, at first appear to be a bra for my eyes, is actually an eye mask. I swear by it and can’t sleep without it these days. The fushia earplugs are an absolute must as well. Lately we have slept with the windows open so this means that the crows of the roosters are more of a surround sound experience than a muffled yell off in the distance. The earplugs help lessen the annoying sounds of the morning as well as that irritating squeak in the motor of the ceiling fan. The way this eye mask is designed I am able to open and close my eyes freely and still remain in the dark. This comes in very handy when taking naps in the middle of the day. It also helps block out the blinding light of the moon on those evenings when it is full.

That being said, the earplugs were no match for this morning's crow-fest. I would have sworn that our roosters were perched on the foot of my bed hell-bent on getting my attention; you would have thought they were trying to tell me that Timmy was in the well for crying out loud. My bedroom is about 100 yards away from the coop while my son's is on the other side of the house--he is the one who "owns" the chickens...go figure. He is the one who was still sleeping soundly this morning.
Nevertheless I stand by the use of earplugs at night. I will admit that there were times when the kids were younger that I would have loved to stuff those babies (the earplugs---not the kids) as far down into my ear canal as possible with the sheer hope that they would provide me some much needed refuge. But I never could do it. I was always afraid that something horrible would occur and I would not be able to hear it. I just knew the police would come in to question the horrible mother who "let" something happen to her kids---I would be sacked out in bed, drool pooling near my ear, with two hot pink pieces of rubber sticking out of each ear...a feminine Frankenstein. Now that the kids are taller than I am I, quite frankly, don't want to know what they are doing!

No comments:

Post a Comment