Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Is the Chicken Inside or Outside the Cage???


I'm a grown up...I'm a grown up...I'm a grown up. This is the mantra I like to chant to myself about every hour or so. My kids are finally at the ages where I almost even feel like a grown up...that is until I actually try to do something a grown up would do. While I do not participate in shady activities or questionable endeavors I do like to venture out on my own every now and then. Take yesterday for example: my dad had just picked up my daughter so she could go home with him and spend a couple of days and nights at her grandparents' house. They had not driven more than two miles down the road when I received a picture text of my daughter making a silly face. I thought I'd play along and immediately took a picture of myself with eyes crossed and tongue hanging out---while driving in my car---en route to purchase a bottle of vino. Almost instantaneously my daughter texted me back the following query: "where u headed?" The little stinker knew. I felt like I had been "caught" and that I would have to weasel my way out very carefully. So, I texted her back, "had 2 check mail."
Example number 2 (in less than 24 hours). I had to meet my daughter in town because she and I both had dental appointments previously scheduled before the big "spend the night" deal. After we both received our packets of sugar free gum we went our separate ways...she to her allergist's and me to my parents' house to pick up some 2x4s. After loading and adjusting and securely strapping down the lumber I headed toward home...but I would have to pass the allergist's office to do so. Guess who was pulling out of the allergist's office and onto the very road I was driving down-while talking on my cell phone? Yup. Guess who beeped into my conversation? Yup. Guess what she had to say to me......"Mom...Grandpa told me how you were suppose to load the lumber and you did it wrong...it's all going to slide out...you are suppose to-blah blah blah blah..." Yup. I was being reprimanded after being caught doing such unthinkable things as doing things my way. I just don't know how I'm going to work up the courage to try to convince her to let me stay up late tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment