Thursday, November 20, 2008

Chicks Rule




With exactly one week to go before Thanksgiving my son brought home 40 baby chicks today. Why? Because he is a member of our County,s 4H and, after winning the Jr. Showmanship award along with placing 3rd in his division, he has decided to show chickens again in the January Stockshow. This morning, at 6:30 a.m.father and son went to make their selection. All participants must pick up their chicks on the same day and, in all likelihood you don't really know what you're getting until they start to grow. In other words it's as fair as it can get.

My son has been diligently working sanitizing the coop, prepping the area, and purchasing the necessary supplies for the past several weekends. He is such a hard worker. Tonight, the chick's first night "home," my son had a heat lamp already set up for them. Those furry yellow peeps didn't even know they were in harm's way when my son raced outside and chased away the raccoon he noticed slinking towards the coop. He just happened to catch a glimpse of the night bandit while working on his homework.

The wind is whipping things up outdoors reminding us to be thankful that we are inside safe and warm. The high tomorrow is only suppose to be in the mid 50s so I'm thinking I may need a heat lamp set up over my bed! I dug in my bag of "winter accessories" to make sure I'd be prepared in the morning: gloves-check!; muffler-check!; ear warmer/headband/thingy-check!check!check! I'm already wearing my fleece pjs and have thrown the razor and toenail polish out the window! This chick's had it with upkeep! Hell I can't even keep up let alone upkeep these days!

No comments:

Post a Comment