Friday, November 7, 2008

Time

"I'll just drink out of a bowl." This statement was made by my daughter. You see, we do not have a single glass, cup, or mug from which to drink. EVERYTHING in our home is D-I-R-T-Y. I have no excuses other than: I WORK - I AM NEVER HOME - MY KIDS ARE INVOLVED IN AFTER SCHOOL ACTIVITIES - I AM EXHAUSTED - and - I DON'T REALLY GIVE A @#$&! ANY MORE.

And so I have sunk to the new low of feeding my family in the same manner that I feed our pets...I pour enough to hopefully last several days in a row and only offer refills when, by happenstance, I remember to glance in the direction of the food bowl. Such is my "life" these days. While I can survive on Merlot and pretzels my growing kids need a little more substance to their diets...enter Top Ramen Noodles...whallah! Dinner is served!

Tonight it is just my daughterand I as the boys are out and about. My son is spending the night with a friend and my husband is helping out a friend. So far my daughter and I have lived it up by spending 2+ hours at Walmart grocery shopping and trying on eye glasses. Of course the $148 frames looked better than the $68 frames. $213.00 later my daughter left happy and content. We came home, let the chickens out of the coop, let the dog and cat out of the house, and started Googling things she was learning in school. She insisted that I look at a YouTube video of "The Breadwinner" which drove home the sad fact that many young children are solely responsible for providing for their large families. I am glad that my daughter's eyes are opened to the bigger picture and hope that she realizes just how good she has it. Later in the evening she shared with me that she wants a job where she travels and learns about other cultures. (You see...kids really do listen to what their teachers tell them).

Tomorrow my daughter and I will go to a baby shower for the daughter-in-law of a dear friend of mine. I love that my friends are old enough to be my mother. I have always loved being around women who have been there before me. I appreciate their wisdom, their sarcasm, and their truths. Everyone my age is more or less in the same boat (which is sinking) and is usually a real joy-kill!

I feel very fortunate to have a daughter to go through life with. I enjoy catching glimpses of her when she doesn't know that I am watching. I grab images of her and try to store them away for future reference. I love the way that her hair catches and holds the sun's brilliant rays. I think the golden honey hues in her hair make her a beautiful girl. I think that she has a great personality when she feels comfortable enough to show it. I believe that she is a compassionate and caring individual. I thank God for her.

And so, with the weekend knocking on my door, I can't help but to be grateful for TIME...time to be with my daughter...time to type this entry...time to let my daughter try on 101 pair of eye glasses...time to enjoy a glass of vino...time to enjoy the caramel apple my daughter made for me...time to wash the dishes...time to do everything I never get to do...time to do nothing at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment