Saturday, November 15, 2008

The Winds of Change




Last night found me roused from sleep by the sounds coming from outside. There was the whoosh of the wind, the banging of the barn door, and the clanking of the loose sheet atop the lean-to. A cold front had arrived. While I am not a huge fan of the cold I am a lover of nature. Having spent way too many months living in a drought I have been surrounded by...nothing. Nothing showed itself as even being alive. The grass and leaves have been crunchy when they were supposed to be lush; the creeks have all dried up taking the cattails and perch along with them.

And then the winds blew...

It was then, in the middle of the night, that I realized I had only known "drought" and all that was associated with it...nothing. As I listened to the effects of the wind it dawned on me that movement...life...has been missing in my world. I suddenly felt very affected by the sheer presence of the wind...a gusty and strong reminder that God was really out there and that He was bringing a new season into my life. There was a part of me that wanted to stand outside and just let the wind wrap itself around me...perhaps even lifting me and carrying me away. Instead I remained in bed allowing myself to be lulled back to sleep amidst the rustling of leaves and the tapping of tin.

In the morning I was very aware of God's presence and grateful for it. My senses were heightened and, for the first time, I welcomed the chilly air. The day was more about the wind itself than the resulting cooler temperatures. I was simply thankful for the movement around me. Instead of getting my feathers ruffled I opted to go with the flow...and it made all of the difference.

To "hear" God in the wind is to appreciate what He does. To "feel" God in the elements is to acknowledge His touch. To "see" God in the rustling leaves is to open our eyes to all that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment