Sunday, November 30, 2008

Bear Necessities



The tiny tag read: "Please look after this bear, Thank You." Well, how can you ignore that?! And so I have been looking after Paddington Bear for over 30 years now. He is starting to look just a wee bit worn around the edges, but I love him still the same. He makes me smile every year when I rescue him from his makeshift home amongst some of my most treasured posessions: my Christmas tree ornaments. His front paws clip onto anything you want--I always choose one of the branches in the top portion of the tree...usually on the right hand side. Just seeing him makes me feel like a kid.

I can still remember watching a stop animation filmstrip about him while seated cross-legged on the floor surrounded by what felt like the entire school. Maybe it was a rainy day or perhaps it kicked off a holiday...either way I was introduced to Wellington boots, marmalade jam, and a delightfully Brittish bear. As I force myself to recognize just what it was exactly that attracted me to him I must say that I am at a loss. To this day I love foreign accents, but there was more to it than that. I do know that I liked the idea of the little tag attached to his coat.

I am thinking I may need a tag of my own these days: "Please look after this girl, Thank you." Now I'm starting to think that maybe I do have one of these tags--maybe it's been attached to me since I was born. I'd like to think that God sent me to my parents with just such a message attached. I'd also like to think that my parents sent me on my way out into the world and into the arms of my husband with my tag still intact. And now it is hitting me that I must do the same with my children--"Please look after my children, Thank you." Yikes...is that all that I get to say? All that I get to wish? The "please" part and the "thank you" part are great, but shouldn't I say more? Shouldn't I give more explicit, detailed instructions?

But then I look back at that tiny bear who found his way into my life all those years ago. If he brings me such joy each and every time that I look at him then he and I both must be doing something right...even though he came without details. I was only to love...no wait...I was only asked to look after. Could it really be that simple?

As you get ready to celebrate the holidays don't forget to look after those who are entrusted in your care. Don't forget to say "please" and "thank you." Don't forget to hold on tight even if you feel like you are out on a limb. And, finally, don't forget to look after yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment