Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Big Shoes to Fill

I'm typing this from the comfort of my Mom and Dad's house. The kids and I come by often whenever we need to kill some time between after school activities. Tonight we're all going to listen to my daughter sing as a member of our school district's Honor Choir. Tonight will be her first winter concert as a member. She will be wearing a beautiful black velvet and crepe dress. I had to rush to Walmart between classes today to get her a pair of heels in order to compensate for the fact that we decided not to hem the inches-too-long dress. Since she had rehearsal yesterday I had to buy a pair of shoes without the benefit of her trying them on first. I ended up buying two pair-just in case. Both pair were too big so I made the exchange today and lucked out. I think we just may get by without stepping on her dress.

This reminds me of all of the times I had to "make do" as a young girl (and still do). One memory in particular has me trying out for the "County Queen" at the fair grounds. I was in a borrowed pink satin prom dress (of which I had to stuff the top portion with paper towels) and matching pink very HIGH heels that Mom and I had purchased at Solo Serve on San Pedro for $3.00. Since they did not have my size-but I desperately needed the height of the heel in order for the dress to fit-we ended up buying those babies (which I stuffed paper towels into the toe portion). I did not win the pageant but I should have won an Oscar for the acting job I pulled off walking "gracefully" down the aisle and up the steep steps.

Tonight, my daughter is going to have to balance herself well as she stands tall , and I hope that she feels beautiful and confident. I know the girls were encouraged to wear flats, but sometimes a girl just has to do what a girl has to do...and if that means making do with what she has then so be it! (And for the record: my daughter did look beautiful, and tall...but at least her dress did not drag the ground!)

No comments:

Post a Comment