Saturday, December 20, 2008

Mule-Tide Greetings

Are you feeling a little stubborn lately? Have you just wanted to buck the system? Does it seem to you that this entire rush-rush-buy-buy world we live in has created gift mongers of us all? When the big day finally arrives will you find yourself merely exchanging gift cards between relatives? Would it be so wrong or bad of us if we merely made construction paper cards with heartfelt expressions written on them? I ran into too many people buying out of pressure and guilt only to greet me with a curt, "I'll be so glad when Christmas is over!" Between that and the "Happy Holidays" the sales people have obviously been instructed to dole out even when I insisted they have a Merry CHRISTMAS, even I am feeling like I am in a race to simply survive until December 26th.

STOP! The holidays should be about family and memories. Yes, if I had not waited until 4 days until Christmas maybe I wouldn't be feeling the crunch like I am. I know all of that...but the thing is sometimes kids CHANGE THEIR MIND as it gets closer and closer to Christmas. Sometimes it is hard to shop ALONE. Sometimes the routine of work/motherhood sucks the very lifeblood from you allowing you only weekend trips to the store...if you do not have any other commitments...or your kids don't...or you're not EXHAUSTED.

Every year it's the same...I swear like a hungover college student that I will NEVER DO THAT AGAIN..."that" being "wait until the week before Christmas to do my shopping." Every year I scramble...but, somehow, it all gets done. As my kids get older and older it has gotten easier and easier. I thought it was hard being Santa...it's even harder being Mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment