Sunday, December 28, 2008

Seasonings Greetings

This is as close to a Christmas card as you'll get from me. I hate to be such a hypocrite as I absolutely love it when I get Christmas cards in the mail...especially the photo cards. I enjoy seeing the faces of people I don't get to see otherwise. I love the pictures of families with kids-tracking their growth through the seasons. I love my family too and would really like to show them off...but that involves not only planning, but preplanning...something I simply do not do. I am much more likely to, on a whim, send out a photo card on, say, April 14th--for no other reason than it was either a good hair day, or all the stars were aligned and our clothes were washed.

I am quite fearful as to what my "traditions" will be when I am the grandma. Right now I am lobbying for a silver airstream trailer with a swivel-hipped hula girl on the dash. I'll get me a computer with a skype cam and send my kids/grandkids on something like "The Amazing Race" with getting to see me if they can find me as the grand prize.

For now, though, I am simply grateful for turtle-paced days and empty agendas. I don't know the headlines of the day nor the forecasts for tomorrow. I eat when I'm hungry, sleep when I'm tired, and read when I want to. I am spending time with time itself and we are quite compatible. It's as if I feel the need to roll around in and absorb myself with all 24 hours of each day. I want to build up a reservoir of time so that when I have not a minute to spare I can reach deep down into my time bank. Of course, it does not really work that way, and, sadly, I know that. Nevertheless I try every day to do as much and as little as possible in an effort to utilize and stretch the gift of time I have received this holiday season.

No comments:

Post a Comment