Friday, December 5, 2008

Chicken Chores and Vet Bills




After work I had to take my son shopping so he could get a pair of blue jeans--he has a casual winter dance to attend tonight at the middle school. We found a great pair on sale so both of us are happy. After the quick shopping spree I dropped off both kids at Mom and Dad's because Mom offered to take my son to the dance, which starts at 7:00 and then pick him up when it is over at 9:30. This saves me an extra couple of trips into town so I greatly appreciate it. She also invited my daughter to go ahead and spend the night as well so tonight is turning into a win-win for everyone.

With the temperatures dipping down into the 40s (soon to be between 28 & 31 degrees) I left the car running as I rummaged through our barn in search of the chicken feed (the chicken chores were left to me since my son was not home). At first I scooped up a huge cup full of "feed" only to recognize it as grass seed. I had to call my son to determine which of the 3 buckets and 2 bags in the barn were actually for the chickens (not the deer corn in the red bucket, but the pellets in the white bucket). I walked around to the "big chicken" coop and squeezed my way inside. All of the chickens were roosting outside of their boxes so I had to gently push them with my flashlight to check behind them to see if there were any eggs. Roscoe refused to move and Daisy only edged over a bit. Mind you, these chickens are eye level to me and I was quite concerned about the strong possibility they would peck my eyes out. I'd also like to note that I had not been inside my house yet and was dressed in my work finery. I could only see one egg and gingerly carried it along with the feed cup and my flashlight back to the barn and then to my car. Since my car was still running my headlights enabled me to see where I was going while walking back to the car as it was pitch black outside.

As I drove around the corner and pulled under our carport I put my flashlight into my mouth and lifted the 50 pound bag of chicken feed out of the trunk and carried it over to the "show chicken" coop. This time the likelihood of getting my eyes pecked was not as great as the chance that I would trip over a rock or a stump-while hugging the heavy bag of feed--in the dark--with the flashlight in my mouth (go ahead...laugh at the visual). Once inside the coop I had the opportunity to scrape chicken poop off the bottom of two cardboard feeder boxes before mixing and pouring just the right amount of protein and feed back into them. Did I mention it was below 45 degrees outside?

Then, when I finally enter my house around 7:00 p.m. I go and find Snickers and let her out of her kennel. My husband had picked her up from the vet after school for me and brought her home before he had to go back to work tonight. I had dropped her off at the vet's at 7:30 this morning for her final round of vaccines and to have her spayed. At first I was worried that she would be all groggy and pathetic...but...NO! She is all over the place--as I type this she is upstairs (even though her doctor's note specifically stated "if your pet has to go upstairs please limit the number of times they do this" (or something to that effect). Of course the note also said things like: "no running or jumping;" and "keep away from other pets." So far Snickers has been up and down the stairs, eaten the dog's food (probably because Roo ate the cat's food), wrestled with Roo, ate a dead leaf from my once alive pythos ivy, and is now chewing on one of the Christmas lights...a blue one.

And how was your evening?

No comments:

Post a Comment