Thursday, December 11, 2008

Miss Communication















My mother and I are very close. We know what the other is thinking and we can speak without saying a word...and that is quickly becoming a good thing considering the fact that we have been having to hurdle many a barrier just to finish a complete thought.

Mom and I love to talk on the phone...always have. As a matter of fact my mother does so for a living as the receptionist at a High School. Considering the fact that the phone lines are constantly blinking she and I can't really talk talk during working hours. We can't really talk before or after work as there is a new rule in place stating that people can no longer be on cell phones while in school zones. Our home phone situation is not much better as I don't get decent cell phone service in my neck of the woods and my land line buzzes due to the frayed wires (a direct result of having hungry chickens in the yard).

This has us speaking in broken sentences at record speed. We see each other on Sundays but that is during church (where you can't talk!). We see each other a couple of times during the week but we're always in a race against time to get the kids from one event to the next. When we finally have a quiet, uninterrupted moment together we are at a loss for words. We simply rely on body language to express our thoughts. We just slump into the couch, glance at each other and dip and tilt our heads toward one another. This, in itself speaks volumes.

No comments:

Post a Comment