Sunday, December 7, 2008

ADVENTures

Our lives are so fast paced even though I strongly believe in being still. Despite my attempts to stop and smell the roses I find it harder and harder to catch a whiff. With the season of Advent upon us my family enjoys the tradition of lighting the Advent candles every day until Christmas. This is a time for all of us to stop what we are doing and focus on why we celebrate Christmas.

I can still remember lighting the candles and listening to the daily lessons with my mother and sister when I was the age my kids are now. I felt a strong sense of responsibility to pass this tradition along to my kids. And so I have. We look forward to it each year although I think the kids mostly enjoy snuffing out the candles and watching the smoke twist and turn upwards into the air. But, in the end, I know that as they grow into adults some part of this ritual will resonate with them and it will hopefully conjure up a nice memory.

Yes, Christmas is coming, and it seems to get here whether we are ever ready for it or not. During this incredibly busy time of year I am finding it harder and harder to fit this ceremony into our cram packed schedule. We have tried doing it in the evenings--home too late. We have tried doing it in the mornings--always running late. What to do-what to do? This year we held a record streak of two days in a row and then neglected the next five days. With today being Sunday, the day we add the lighting of the second candle, I have vowed to make certain this takes place. I have had to give up the daily guilt and just let go. I will try to at least gather around the table on Sundays if no other day.

The Advent wreath sits in the center of our table as a reminder that there is light even when times are dark; that there is hope even we may not feel it; that there is love even when we don't ask for it; and that there is a promise of good to come. As long as we hold fast to what we believe in we can stay connected to each other and to the true meaning of Christmas...despite the world trying to snuff out our light!

No comments:

Post a Comment