Sunday, June 15, 2008

Gnome Body Knows...the Troubles I've Seen...

Oh the joys of an overnight trip to the lake. Granted, we live just 15 miles from this lake, but for some reason this makes it all the more frustrating to pack 17 bags, 3 ice chests, 1 dog kennel, 2 boat bags, multiple water toys and equipment…all to unpack…dirty up and then pack up again all to drive home and do it all again in reverse…until next weekend. Such is the life of a water loving family. Before you start to think that I am not a big fan of this lifestyle let me assure you that I highly prefer it to the “coastal experience.” It is a little more laid back and a lot less sandy, salty, sticky, sweaty, smelly. On the other hand, I think the whole “weekend getaway” is more fun for a man and the only way “Mama” would ever get 100% fulfillment from it at all is if she were to go ALONE!

When the kids were babies (and for those of you in the throes of this insane existence…you know just how unfun the “weekend ‘getaway’” truly is {"get away" from WHAT?! You're bringing it ALL with you!!!) I often thought that I would much rather inflict pain on myself (rather than have it inflicted upon me). Now that the kids are much older I am not finding much of a difference from those first unfun years at the lake and now. Granted it is SO MUCH EASIER (I only have to bring 17 bags instead of 22) but nevertheless it’s not like I can tell the kids to go jump in the lake at 7 a.m. and tell them to come back to the cabin at 9 p.m. (Now wouldn’t that be fun?!---yes, it would, but thanks to our overprotective society it’s NOT…now I have to lug all of our stuff down to the water’s edge and sit forever trying to read and keep the ants out of my Coke at the same time...all while keeping a watchful eye on the little darlings, rubbing in sun lotion, providing snacks, drinks, Neosporin, life jackets, goggles, refereeing, bargaining, promising, breaking promises, making sure the beloved pet doesn't wander off, and making a mental note of what to bring next time and wondering how "other people" do it...I never see other people with STUFF! And did I mention trying to read? HA! I am such the eternal optimist...I actual brought a book! What was I thinking?!)

Nevermind the fact that the beds are lumpy and “our” bedroom is in the middle of the cabin so everybody has to walk through our room (picture me with eyes closed, mouth wide open, unsightly body parts possibly exposed,…you get the picture I’m sure…and it’s not one you cared to view I am certain!). Everybody is always hungry…you can’t drink the water…the toilet paper supply is dwindling…everything is enclosed in plastic containers (to keep the mice out)…and just this morning I walked in on my father-in-law as he was reaching down to pull on his blue jeans…Happy Father’s Day!

Let’s go back 22 years: I was just about to turn sweet 16 and I was spending the night with my best friend…at the lake. There were several families staying there that 4th of July weekend. One of them had a friend spending the night with them as well…my future husband. That’s right…my husband and I met at The Lake 22 years ago this July. And we’ve been going to the same cove ever since. His family had always gone there and so had my friend’s. Just this past weekend my friend invited me in to see her new cabin. As far as lake cabins go this one was great! It is basically one big room. The floor is hardwood salvaged from the barracks at Fort Sam! There is a wrought iron wood stove in the center of the room and the kitchen has a bar long enough to host probably 8 stools! If you (for some odd reason) were wearing high heels you would not be able to see out of the windows…not because they are too high…oh no…quite the contrary…they are extremely low and my friend and her family think that perhaps the former occupants had been a family of gnomes! And, it gets better…the bathroom’s toilet allows for approximately ½² of toe/knee space (and that was measured by my demure friend!) I feel sorry for any man over 5’2 who needs to take a seat!
The wallpaper reminded me of something one would see on the walls in a foreign village’s souvenier shoppe…one owned by gnomes!

And so, I spent the weekend at the lake…the same lake where I met my husband…the same lake I went to with my best friend when we were teenagers…the same lake I went to with my own family when we visited our cousins…the same lake I am bringing my own children to now...the same lake that the gnomes frequent when we’re not there…if you are lucky you just may spot one…all you have to do is look under your lumpy mattress!

No comments:

Post a Comment