Sunday, June 22, 2008

One man's trash is another man's Wii

You know how after a good workout you will be a little sore the next day? It is 10:40 at night and I am in pain! My "workout" consisted of standing in front of my television playing a video game earlier this same day. That's right, folks...in a matter of one hour I bowled, I played tennis, I played baseball, and I boxed...all in my flip-flops with the air conditioner on in my den. I should also mention that I huffed, I panted, I grunted, and I began to feel beads of sweat forming. I could also feel the burn. I don't know about you, but that's my kind of exercise!

Even though the Wii has been out for some time now our family has just now acquired one. I am proud to say that my husband and son decided on the purchase after collecting their cash reward from their recycled cans. Both of my guys collected and crushed enough cans over the course of one year to pay for a Wii!! Even though this was their project they decided to buy something the whole family could benefit from...and I love them for that. I, for one, have had more fun than I ever thought I would (I've never been 'into' video games--they make me anxious and tense).

For the past several years, as a family, we would go on evening jeep rides up and down the backroads that surround our house and collect the cans others have littered the ground with. We do this for many reasons: to clean up our surroundings, to teach our kids some lessons, and, to reap the rewards of recycling. Last Friday my son called me on his way home from San Antonio with excitement lining his voice: "Mom! Guess how much money we got for our cans?!" "$201.80!" "We're on our way to get a Wii!!" And then, right after we hung up, a picture text came up on my cell. It was a picture of two one hundred dollar bills and a one dollar bill fanned out on my son's knee. I was so happy for him. I was also proud of what my husband was teaching him. What a perfect father/son moment.

As our luck would have it Wal Mart was out of Wiis and the guys came home empty-handed. We would have to sit out Saturday and wait until Sunday before going back into town. But, as I mentioned in yesterday's post, my husband and I dashed into SA while the kids were in Sunday School and snagged a Wii (but only after stopping at two other locations...I swear...it was like the Cabbage Patch Christmas all over again!). As soon as we got home the guys set to work attaching wires and plugging things in. We spent the rest of the afternoon swinging a bat, bowling a ball, and punching a bag. I have to say that it is pretty darn cool! The kids nearly fell off the couch when I told them I wanted to participate! My only problem is that now I have to do everything left handed in order to balance out the soreness from yesterday's activity!

Not meaning to negate the health benefits of "working out with the Wii", but after all of that physical activity I had no choice but to have myself a beer...you know, to celebrate the purchase...to cool off...to get the guys started off right as a new year in recycling begins today!

No comments:

Post a Comment