Monday, June 16, 2008

Repeat Performance

I thought my nerves were embedded deep within my body…but somehow my kids found them…and they’re on them!!! Every little thing that happened today irked me. Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that I have spent every day since school let out cleaning my house…and it does not look like it. Maybe it has something to do with the scorching heat that has us trapped within the house from morning until night. It could even be that we are running out of food, and with the high price of gas right now we are trying to limit our sixty mile commute to the nearest grocery store to one day a week. Today was not “the day.”

In some ways this is good…no milk=no quicky breakfast…no eggs=no long and drawn out breakfast…no bread=no lunch…no meat=no dinner…no dish soap=no dish washing…no laundry detergent=no clothes washing.

In other ways it is bad…no food=cranky people…no wine=cranky mother.

And so, we sit and watch television. Did you know that the forecast calls for more heat, high gas prices, and bad vegetables? “Tomorrow we can expect more of the same.” Gee thanks! When the evening finally rolls around we all sit and watch television. Did you know that Nashville Star has some really talented singers (but I can’t tell you who won the title the last several seasons), the Jonas Brothers are monopolizing our world (so far so good), and Betty White recently guest starred on Million Dollar Password? (now that brought back memories from my own childhood summers spent indoors watching t.v.).

When my husband came home today I immediately looked at him and by way of greeting blurted out, “I am extremely irritable today!” By way of loving me he did not comment—only smiled and gingerly walked away.

Tonight I think we’ll divide up the soggy graham crackers, draw straws for the single orange (though that is not really its color anymore), and swig some unsweetened sun tea. For dessert we’ll chew gum while watching Nashville Star.

Tomorrow we can expect more of the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment