Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Of Mice and Me

I hear them...they are in the attic...they are in the walls. I see them...scurrying from behind the bookshelf to the nearest corner: a gray blur. Mice. They have made our house their home. Just the other day while trying to take a mid-afternoon nap I heard one running from one end of my bedroom ceiling to the other...except it sounded a little larger than a mouse...hmmmm. Whatever it was it "sounded happy" by the way it was quickly "skipping". I can only imagine the festivites that must be going on up in the attic-what with ALL OF MY STUFF up there!

Which is why I try my best to store items in sealed plastic containers. This does not always work though. Last weekend I took out a plastic container from my CLOSET to rummage through our "lake stuff" that had been packed away since last summer. Inside I found my son's water shoes...filled with faded jelly beans (from Easter '05???) and the shells from large sunflower seeds. Fortunately the shoes are too small for him this year. Inside the railing of my daughter's twin bed we discovered a colorful stash of parakeet feed (we haven't had any parakeets for 5 months now). One of our birth certificates had a chewed off corner and I can no longer leave fruit out on the counters.

Now, before you go and report me to the health department, let me remind you that I live in the COUNTRY! Mice are the least of my concerns! And, by the way, we're talking about those cute little field mice...you know..."Cinderelly, Cinderelly..." They usually keep to themselves, but if things get out of hand we try our best to handle the situation as humanely as possible. Now, when it comes to centipedes and scorpions...well...all bets are off!!

No comments:

Post a Comment