Friday, June 20, 2008

Relocation, Relocation, Relocation!

The swallows are rebuilding! And rebuilding! In fact, our wraparound porch has become a condominium of sorts to several families of swallows. Earlier this month I told the story of how our single, beloved swallow nest was "taken down" while trying to lure a snake out of it. Not to be deterred the swallows have been working tirelessly to make a new home...apparently they told their friends, family, and neighbors about their new location. After closely observing the swallows' method of operation I noticed that they liked to slap a few pieces of mud onto the rock wall and then fly away and observe it from a distance...much like we would do with a small swatch of paint. When it becomes obvious that this location "just won't do" they stick another splat of mud somewhere else and repeat the process. Finally, "the perfect location" is chosen (preferrably over an entrance or above a window, thus increasing the likelihood of smattering bird droppings all over the welcome mat or the window sill). This being said, some of the new nests are being built over the back door and above my son's bedroom window.

If I could get my computer to catch up with the 21st century I'd share some pictures with you of the swallows collecting mud and straw. It was incredible to watch them work as a team. One would fly down to the ground where it was nice and moist (thanks to a water hose that was accidentally left on too long) and dip its beak into the mud until it was nice and packed. As soon as it flew away another landed almost simultaneously. The second would have a few pieces of grass or hay and it would moisten these pieces in the water. They flew from nest to ground repeatedly all throughout the day.

It has always amazed me at how capable and brilliant the swallows are. Their nests are true masterpieces. Every time I look at one of their nests I think of God. And that is when I am convicted. If a bird can work so hard and produce such purposeful results then what is my excuse? All too often I waste my time and have nothing to show for it at the end of the day. I know we all need our days of rest and our quiet time (trust me...I totally believe in that!) but I must also get my head on straight and start to focus on some of my goals. While I have achieved many of my goals there are still many more I wish to see to fuition. Truth be told many of my earlier "goals" could better be defined as "dreams." I am starting to come face to face with the fact that my life is what I make of it and right now I don't feel like I am making anything. That is one of the reasons that I started this blog. I have such a strong desire to create and I have always been driven to write. I want to take this particular "dream" of mine and prune it into a definitive goal. And then I want to work hard at achieving it.

If, like the swallows, I spend my time purposefully working toward a goal (and employing the help of my family and good friends) I believe that I can build something for myself. I realize that it may be muddy sometimes, and I might even encounter a few snakes, but, in the end, I just might find my niche...and hopefully there won't be bird sh** on my welcome mat!

No comments:

Post a Comment