Thursday, June 26, 2008

Not Our Usual Rootine

I thought yesterday's post was going to be my last one until I returned from the coast....uh..no. Turns out I have another story to tell. Last night I stayed up talking with my husband, his brother, and my sister-in-law until a little after 11:00 in the barn. My sister-in-law's kids were fast asleep while my two kept texting me every few minutes asking when I was coming up to the house. My daughter kept telling me that she wanted to go to bed early so she could get a good night's rest before our big trip...but...needed me to tuck her in.

When my husband and I walked in the front door both kids were playing the Wii. My first question to them was, "Where is Roo?" (Roo is our 4 pound Chiweenie). Our daughter immediately told us that her brother let the dog out and she told him to keep an eye on Roo. {We have a standing rule that Roo does not go outside without supervision after 6:00---long story---will share another time---not to mention the fact that earlier in the day we all saw a large red fox run across our backyard following the fenceline (true story)}. We immediately started calling for Roo and had every light on outside...I had already grabbed her treat jar and was going to rattle it for her to come when my husband walked in through the backdoor with Roo in his arms. Something wasn't quite right. Her right front paw was being held close to her chest and she acted as if it were paralyzed. She cried and cried and whined and whined (break my heart now). We all figured that she must have got stung by a scorpion (her claws were packed with mud).

I ended up giving her a warm bath and then cradled her in a towel like a baby (she loves laying on her back in our arms). As I was walking out of the kitchen (mind you it is MIDNIGHT before our trip) I felt a slight squish beneath my big toe. Not a wet squish...not a full on squish...more of a was that a gummy bear squish?? Yup...you guessed it...I had stepped on a scorpion (cue the heeby jeebies). Amazingly enough it did not sting me (though my husband was stung two days ago...and just before the fox sighting my brother-in-law killed a scorpion on my kitchen counter--it was hiding behind my niece's Dora the Explorer birthday cake box). Not wanting to put Roo down I managed to chase, kill, and fling said scorpion (what a mama won't do).

Of course, Roo slept with me...though I use the word "slept" loosely. She and I both had an uncomfortable night. Her breathing was not right and she kept trying to throw up. Once, I could not hear her breathing and she was so still my heart stopped out of fear that she had a terrible reaction and died. This morning she was better...her leg is now extended and she moved a little bit on my bed. She is still having trouble with her breathing and that has me very concerned. As soon as the vet's office is open I am going to give them a call. She is so tiny I did not want to offer her even a sliver of a Bendryl tablet (which, it turns out, I did not even have). She looks sad and is moving lethargically. I am worried about her going to the coast, but at the same time I am so glad that she will be going with us.

I swear...just when my kids are finally old enough to pack for themselves and sleep through the night it's my dog who has me in a tither...but I love her and that's all that matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment