Tuesday, October 21, 2008

1st & 10...Sing it Again

Not wanting to slight one child over the other I made a promise that I wasn't 100% certain would come to fruition. My son's football game was out of town...it was highly probable that he would not get much playing time...my daughter had a parent concert tonight for honor choir...from 7:00-7:30. Truth be told I could have sworn I copied the date correctly in my calendar (I am a calendar fanatic) and I had it penned down as next Tuesday...a much more convenient date as the football game would be at "home" on that day. My daughter kept asking me if I was going to come. "Of course I'll be there Sweetie!" As I searched the online choir concert calendar I saw before my eyes: PARENT CONCERT TONIGHT! Grrrr! Yikes!!! Oh %@#$%!!

What is a mother to do? I know many parents simply trade off or split up between kids...mom at the volleyball game, dad at the open house. But I want to be at both functions (like who doesn't). It's times like these when I am soooo grateful that I stopped at 2 kids!! I just don't know how families with multiple kids do it (and wouldn't you just know they are the ones who make it all look so darn easy---take the cover of the November issue of Good Housekeeping as a prime example).

I snuck out of work 10 minutes early, picked up my mom at a local convenience store (she was waiting inside with our coke and peanuts) and sped out of town (somehow thinking that if I got to the game early it would help me out in my mothering plight). I enjoyed perfect football weather, cheered, yelled, snapped pics, and was there to see my son in on several plays. If the game ended by 6:30 I could speed (literally) back to town barely late for my daughter's concert-thus earning myself a gold star in the mother column. The game wrapped up closer to 6:45...then we waited for my son to come off the field...then we had to sign him out because my husband was taking him home...then I left for the concert.

My first turn out of the parking lot was futile as there really wasn't an exit...only a lot of rocks and mush...no problem...it's just like my driveway...so I drove right on over it/through it and ultimately made it onto the real road. I stayed behind a car that was going extremely slow (probably the speed limit) for as long as I could stand it (4 seconds) and passed it promptly (turned out to be a young, first time driver). I exited onto I-10 and tried to beat a land-speed record. When I saw the flashing red and blue lights ahead of me on the opposite side of the highway I slowed down a little and managed to make it to town by 7:15. All doors to the choir room were locked except for the back door directly behind the accompanyist. I heard the choir's beautiful voices mixed in with the cheers and whistles of another football game coming from the field right next to the building. I waited until the song ended and then peeked my head in only to see all kids-no parents. What? I met a mother pacing the front sidewalk and asked her about the "concert." She had no idea what I was talking about, "My husband works here so he keeps up with everything." It turned out that there was not a parent concert at all and so I did not miss anything...except for a chance to grab some groceries sans kids.

When I got home I reminded my son that-since he just finished PLAYING A FOOTBALL GAME that he should really take a SHOWER! And when it was my daughter's turn to bathe she sang away...I got to hear my parent concert after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment