Wednesday, October 15, 2008

If the Shoe Fits

Have you ever had one of those days where nothing seems to go your way? I certainly have and yesterday was no exception. I have conditioned myself to adapt to the chaos around me rather than struggle and fight against it. This seems to work much better. I will say, though, that without the help of family it wouldn't be as easy. Monday evening found me outside running some football plays with my son so that he could get in one more practice before the big "North vs. South" game on Tuesday. I secured the kitchen timer to a fence post so that I would know when my spaghetti sauce was ready and tucked my phone into my shirt just in case my husband should call. I passed, my son caught; I called out plays and he would tell me who he was to block. The timer went off-we went in. My son scraped and squirted mud off of his shoes and asked if he could throw them in the dryer. I figured why not since we have dried tennis shoes before.

The next morning I accidentally turned off my alarm instead of snoozing it. I desperately needed to get up at 5:00 but didn't until ten minutes after 6:00. Thank God I miraculously woke then! I had planned on making a nice, hearty breakfast since it was game day and my son would be practicing in the morning, but time simply would not allow...nevermind the fact that we barely had enough cereal to split between my son and daughter. Both kids needed their clothes ironed and I had not even put on moisturizer let alone makeup. Before I brushed my teeth my son comes into my bathroom carrying one of his football cleats. The bottom portion was separated from the shoe---the dryer had literally melted the adhesive on both shoes and my son's mood right along with it.

I dug in one of my junk drawers for some Super Glue...found Krazy Glue instead...squeezed that baby with all my might and could not believe it when it would not even stick to the rubber. The last resort was to whip out the glue gun. My son was mortified to say the least, but I was determined. If we had had a roll of electrical tape I'd have used it. If I could just get him through the morning's practice I'd be able to rush off to the store and grab some new cleats before the game at 5:00 that evening. The hot glue held but my son insisted on wearing his regular tennis shoes since it was going to be a light practice anyway (probably a very smart move on his part!).

Right before we dashed out of the house I had to lock the dog up-making sure she had enough food and water to last a l-o-n-g time. Next I had to make sure that the kitten was securely locked in the bathroom--she was, but she did not have any food...and the litter box...Oh My Goodness!!! I told my daughter she absolutely had to empty that toxic box regardless of the impending tardy slip she was sure to get. I had so many bags to schlep around I could barely make it out of the washroom door (of course the schtuff blocking my path didn't help me out either).

We loaded up the car (thankfully my son had laid down some planks of wood between the sidewalk and the car so I wouldn't have to completely walk through mud to get into the car) and pulled out of the drive at the time I am suppose to be at work. I had to drive about 10 miles before I could get cell phone reception to call work and let them know that I was on my way. It must be noted that the later you arrive at work the less traffic you have to deal with in the parking lot...definitely something to consider.

My first class met me at the door and so I had them help me start up all of the computers and log in. Every chance I got I was texting my husband and calling my dad. Bealls (the only store in town that sells tennis shoes-other than Walmart) was all out of cleats. Dad said he'd go to Academy for me and we kept in touch as best as we could between cell phone calls and overdue fines. My husband gave me the specifics in what to look for in a football cleat and the deal was sealed. Dad showed up just before lunch with ...THE WRONG SHOE!!! God love him-he went back into San Antonio and exchanged them...met me at Walmart (where I snagged the last size 10.5 cleat--on sale for $13.00 thankyouverymuch), handed over the shoes in the parking lot where we hugged and parted ways. I had 4 minutes to spare before my next class walked through the library doors (I had given up my lunch to run to Wally World) but I needed to get the shoes to my son just in case they didn't fit. I sped over to the middle school and got him out of math class. He thought the cleats were a little tight, but there was plenty of toe room. The $13.00 pair were too big (wouldn't you just know it?). My son took the new shoes and rushed off to his locker and I dashed back to work.

Before I knew it there were only 2 minutes left before the bell rang to signal that school was over for the day. I called a Grandma who's daughter used to teach with me at the high school and asked her if Hailey could please go home with her and her granddaughters...and then to district honor choir practice at 6:00 that night...she said "Sure....today?...like...NOW?(she was already in the car pick-up line)...."Yes" I answered her meekly. "Of Course!" Thank you Lord!

I finished backing up all of my work for the day and closing down the library and then drove a colleage over to the local automotive store so she could pick up her car. Next it was off to the high school where I was hoping to be able to get there early enough to watch the guys warm up and hopefully check to see if my son's shoes were working out for him. He was easy to spot--he had the shiniest shoes on the field!! The game was a good one and the weather was pleasant as a storm was rolling in and the temperatures cooled down a bit. Our team ended up beating the other team 25-0 and my son had a good game. He was able to be in on several plays and afterwards he was so happy...which, in the end, makes me happy.

Even though things don't always go our way we still have to go our way...we can't ever stop no matter the obstacles. Yes, it's okay to ask for help...as long as we're willing to be the ones helping out when needed. And no matter what don't put your cleats in the dryer!

No comments:

Post a Comment