Saturday, October 11, 2008

Making Cents of a Book Fair

I just wrapped up a week's worth of book fair excitement. There is something magical suspended in the air during this special week each school year. I feel very strongly that children should have magical moments in their lives while they are young so that they have lasting memories they can revisit later in life. Being able to garner sneak peeks into the lives of children on a daily basis is one of the neatest gifts I could ever receive. Many parents send their kids off to school and do not know all that goes on in their child's life. I think it is important for this to occur because it is my opinion that kids need to learn how to grow and 'become' in the absence of their parents. That being said, I consciously make an effort to lay low while at work because I want my kids to have some school time without Mom looking over their shoulders. But that is not always easy to do considering the fact that I work at their school. But, because I work at an elementary school I am privy to all kinds of interesting childhood moments.

One day last week I had a second grader approach me at the cashier's desk while clutching tightly to a ziplock baggie that was filled with coins. "I just want to know if I have enough cents," he explained. Boy, don't we all, I thought to myself. Even though I knew that I certainly didn't have enough sense to do many of the things I attempt on a daily basis, I patiently counted out his coins. So many kids came into the library skipping and left shouting "I got a book!" Many others strategically divided their loot so that they could purchase a book for a sibling. Still others kept buying until the last penny was spent. I did have one fourth grade boy ask me if he could use a credit card because he knew his mom's credit card number along with it's expiration date-OMG!

I spent a large portion of each day desperately trying to explain the concept that a five dollar bill would not be enough to purchase a $4.99 book because of little word called "tax." I guess I didn't do that good of a job because at the end of the week I owed Scholastic close to $50.00 for all of the students who were short on change!

I overhead many parents bargaining with their kids saying things like, "...you can get these two, but you have to put that one back." Or "...well...how about if you just don't get an allowance this month?" Or "...You already have 6 diaries at home that you haven't even written in...you don't need another one...pick out a book with WORDS in it." Most parents want to expose their children to all forms of literature. They want to foster a love of reading. They are strapped for cash but always find a way.

Both of my kids read in the car the entire way home. My son spouted out facts and statistics and my daughter stayed up late reading and couldn't wait to share with me the details the next morning. I learned of a student who spent the night we were open late for Family Night drawing sketches after reading his new drawing book. I saw kids reading their new books while waiting in the bus line and at the cafeteria table during lunch. I watched normally rowdy boys sitting quietly on the floor hunched over a cool book. I witnessed friends giggling over some funny pictures, and ultimately ended up buying the same books. Hearing all of the ooohs and ahhhhs this past week was better than any movie soundtrack. It made all of the extra hours and frenetic activity completely worth it.

I hope that over this three-day weekend many kids will fall into a good book and get hooked on reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment