Wednesday, October 8, 2008

The Cat's Out of the Parking Lot

This afternoon found me filling a shopping cart with feeding bowls, scoopers, and kitty litter. I am now the owner of a daughter who owns a kitten...a 6 week old kitten. After responding to a mass email about an adorable female tabby I was the lucky one whose response arrived first. It turns out that this gray, black, and brown kitten was found abandoned at 4 weeks old in the Walmart parking lot by a kind-hearted animal rescuer. Wanting nothing more than to find a good home for this little cutie pie she issued a call and we answered. My daughter has been begging for a cat (and a donkey, and a duck, and a pig...) for a long time and we could definitely benefit from having one out in the country where we live. We had made a trip to the animal shelter a month ago but were told that we would have a hard time finding kittens this late in the year. My daughter really wanted a kitten as opposed to a full grown cat so that she could bond with it. I didn't tell her about the email in case nothing came of it, but this afternoon, after speaking with the rescuer, I told my daughter what was happening. She was elated to say the least and has been smiling ever since.

It turns out this little kitten is very sweet and even though we were told that she was a little skittish seems quite relaxed and content. We'll have to keep her in the bathroom for a good week or two to help her get adjusted to our home and family...and our dog, Roo (that should be interesting). My daughter is going to scheme her heart out to find a way to get the kitten to sleep in her room--I just know it--but that is simply not in the cards. In a half hour I will pick up my son from his confirmation class and then we will all head home--with a new member of our family in tow. Now the cat's out of the parking lot and into our lives...stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment