Thursday, October 2, 2008

Women

What a species...WOMEN. We are such intersting creatures ... are we not? I love being of an age when I can freely discuss my flaws with strangers. It seems that every time I do so there is that immediate "connection." I have come to KNOW that no matter what our circumstances...good, bad, rich, poor, pretty, not so pretty, thin, not so thin...you name it...WE ARE ALL ALIKE.

I can honestly say that while I am proud to be a woman there are times when I wish I were a man. It seems to me that men stay thin, wear wrinkles well, and are pretty low maintenance when it comes to getting ready for anything. Women, on the other hand, have a bad rap as nagging you-know-whats. And just who gave us that title??? MEN! The very people who caused the vicious cycle to start spinning in the first place!! Okay-okay...not all men...but you get the drift. If only men could grasp what it is that we have to deal with on a daily basis. (I'm in the throes of a hormonal imbalance as I type this so please take that into conseration). First of all we have HORMONES. These are the ball-bearings that roll around inside of us and continually keep us out of whack. If you break the word down it sounds like "whore" "moans"...which, I guess, could translate as "SEX?!... Are you FREAKIN' KIDDING ME?! These hormones are like little A.D.D. gremlins that bounce off of our insides pushing every button they can find. As a direct result we are like ill-wired robots shorting out all day long. We laugh while tears streak our cheeks. We desperately try to be "someone" by layering on the makeup but don't really give a sh** if we cry our mascara away. We know that pencil skirts and tortoise heels look really sharp but wear our fat pants and comfy flats because inside we are just daring someone to say something to us. We love our children but yell at them and then beat ourselves up about it. We know 8 hours of sleep will do wonders for those black pouches that have taken up residence below our eyes...but we stay up anyway...we stay up because it is the only time when we are actually aware of our own breathing...everyone else is asleep and we no longer have to hold in our stomachs. We leave the dishes in the sink knowing that they will be the very thing that sets us off first thing in the morning...but for right now we don't want to have to be doing anything. We are women...we are strong and we are capable...but we are also exhausted.

No comments:

Post a Comment