Monday, October 6, 2008

All's Fair in Love and Books

Just when you think being around kids day in and day out is going to make you leap--you see them in a different light. Today kicked off day one of a week long book fair at my school. I was treated to sights and sounds of youth that made me smile from within. I witnessed big 6th grade boys sitting cross-legged on the floor flipping through the pages of a book as if no one else were in the room. I heard squeals of delight as 5-year olds recognized familiar characters on the covers of books. I helped the very young make out a wish list to take home to their parents and I helped count the coins others brought in with the hopes of bringing home a new read.

There is nothing like being a part of a child's world...a world rich in excitement and pleasure. There is something special about getting to be a part of some of the experiences kids have when their parents aren't around. Most parents, I'm happy to report, would be pleased if they could watch and listen as I get to. Multiple times throughout book fair week I am privy to siblings purchasing for each other. I get to count back change to a child who thinks he just hit the mother load. I absolutely love seeing kids get so excited to be shopping "all by themselves" in the confines of our school library. I am grateful to all of the volunteers who so graciously give of their time to visit their kid's world and help me out at the same time.

At the end of the week it is not about the money, but instead about the joy expressed in the students' voices as they exclaim phrases such as, "This is SO cool!" and "AWESOME!" "Oh I LOVE this author!" "You have such cool books here!" In such a technology-driven, fast-paced world it is good to know that kids still get excited about the turning of pages.

No comments:

Post a Comment