Sunday, October 12, 2008

Car Talk

It's so nice when a town can literally shut down it's Main Street so that everybody who wants to can stroll up and down the town. Today, while the kids were in Sunday School, my husband and I walked from one end of town to the other admiring all of the cars that were taking part in this year's Rod Run. Everytime I would walk past a shiny car images and sounds from "back then" played through my mind. The cars back then seemed to have so much character and finesse; much more so than they do now. It made me want to be a teen on a date with the boy of my dreams. I wanted to wrap myself in a sweater and pull into the drive-in. I pictured myself with Jackie-O glasses and a scarf wrapped around my perfectly coiffed hair-do as I breezed down a winding cliff-side road---oceanic view below me.

As always, I was jolted back to my current reality when I had to get back into my dusty Jetta to pick up the kids. Even though my car's top doesn't come down it at least has a sun roof. And even though the words "perfect" and "hair-do" never find their way to me I can at least keep wearing my way too big for my face sunglasses as I drive off into the sunset down my very own Route 46.

No comments:

Post a Comment