Monday, October 27, 2008

TNFW 2008

I had the pleasure of attending the Texas Non-Fiction Writers' Retreat 2008 this past weekend. The beauty of it was that it was held at the Cibolo Nature Center in Boerne, TX. The CNC is one of the most peaceful and soul-recharging locales I have visited in a great while. I could not have asked for more perfect weather to accompany me as I listened to and mingled with writers of such caliber as the legendary Elmer Kelton. What an inspiration to everyone to keep doing what you love doing no matter your age (Mr. Kelton is 82!). The love of his life was by his side throughout the entire retreat.

Before I go into any more detail I must first confess that I skipped work to attend this event. I took off a half-day of work on Friday so that I would not miss a thing. I am so glad that I did because I am tired of things getting in the way of what I want to do...even if one of those things is MY JOB! I want to grow and learn and start to surround myself with the things that make me happy...and writing is one of those things...if not THE thing that does the trick.

When I first drove down the tree-lined dirt road that leads to the Cibolo Nature Center I could feel myself shedding the layers that have been covering me. If I could have I would have tossed each layer out the sun roof and never looked back (of course, this would have left me naked and my kids unattended). Nevertheless I left the stressed-out, frustrated wife and mother behind and began to feel a little bit lighter...I began to feel like...well...like me.

There is nothing like the sound of your own tires slowly rolling over crushed granite to awaken your senses and ground you at the same time. Surrounded by prairie grass and marshes, grapvines and oak trees I felt like I had been transplanted into a private sanctuary--which--I suppose I was. No matter what kind of hustle and bustle was happening back at work...at my house...on Main street...I felt a sense of calm and quiet. It was amazing...and it continues to be so. The power that a weekend retreat has over a creative soul should never be discounted.

I feel so fortunate to have been able to meet so many diverse people. I was able to shake hands and talk with Kathleen Hudson...what a woman of inspiration! I found myself being asked by Andrew Sansom if I could snap a picture of him and Elmer Kelton (uh...yeah!). I got to listen and laugh as Joe Nick Patoski shared his stories of...how shall we say it...a varied life!! The man wrote a book about Willie Nelson! He summed up the weekend quite well when he said, "Truth really is stranger than fiction--so why bother!"

James L. Haley, Texas historian, was such a likeable guy...he was more than willing to pay it forward and advise us well. Michael Erard opened his presentation with the disclaimer that he has been holed up alone for long stretches of time---I must confess that after his talk I was craving a beer...I haven't felt more dumb since my World Civilization course in college!

Barbara Ras, being the director of the Trinity University Press in San Antonio shared with us all that went on in her world of resuscitating a University Press and what she looks for in authors. Rusty Shelton, the Managing director of Austin' Phenix& Phenix Literary Publicists, amazed me with his knowledge and professionalism. And, finally, Jan Wrede, the director of education at the Cibolo Nature Center allowed her passion to spill out and onto all of the attendees.

Speaking of passion...Jeff Morganthaler must drink it because he is THE ONE who put this entire retreat together. His love for the written word is apparent and I am very grateful that he was able to pull something like this off...something that even little ol' me could be a part of.

No comments:

Post a Comment