Saturday, October 18, 2008

Warning Signs

"Check Engine Oil" "Tire Pressure Low" "Pull Over Now!"
I currently have two warning lights illuminated on the control panel of my car. I currently do not have time to do anything about them. First it was the tire pressure. I actually got out of the car and pressed my finger into all four tires...felt thick enough to me...and off I drove to work. Just this morning, when my engine exhaust system light blinked on I drove to the first stop sign I came to, put the car in park, turned off the ignition, restarted the car, and drove on down the road...with the warning light still on. Damn!

This got me thinking about our own system of warning signs. No, we don't (fortunately) have lighted symbols blinking on our foreheads--symbols like a broken heart or a tired soul. But we do have other signs...some we heed...most we ignore. When we aren't running on all four cylinders we tend to catch colds more frequently; we develop dark circles under our eyes, and we snap at our loved ones. When we neglect to take ourselves in for a regular maintenance check up we tend to develop things like spare tires, loose nuts, and the need for an oil change. While some of us opt for a trade-in others choose to keep the original model.

I have not been happy with my own warning signs these days. They have been blatant and they have been blaring. I guess it is time for me to either get a new paint job or take some laps around the track...I'm thinking blonde!

No comments:

Post a Comment