Saturday, January 24, 2009

SitCalms

There is something comforting about living in the year 2009 and still hearing the voices of the Tanner Family (a.k.a. the Full House Sitcom). It seems that show is always on in our house and it seems that whenever it is we all congregate on the couch. I can actually recall watching it when I was younger and being fully aware that their family dynamics were different. The kids' mother had passed away and that left Danny to raise his girls "alone"... along with Joey, Uncle Jesse, and Rebecca. We have come a long way from what was once considered a traditional living arrangement these days but as I watch the show now all I see is the loving unit that makes up that extended family.

The show focuses on learning lessons and on the feelings we all feel...especially as children, and on the relationships we build with people we care about. I wish there were more shows like this one on t.v. Whenever it is on I never have to be ready to produce a timely cough or sneeze to distract from a cuss word as is so often the case with "family" shows of today. But, herein lies the rub; the "family" shows of today are a direct reflection of many of today's families. I find it unsettling that so many kids are exposed to raunchy language and loose boundaries on a daily basis. Just last night, while at a grocery store check-out, I overheard one of the checkers behind me conversing with another checker. The first word out of his mouth was an expletive. I don't mean to come across as all proper and such because, believe me, I fell off that wagon long ago, but even still it jolts me-every time. Or could it just be that I am, gasp, getting older?

No comments:

Post a Comment