Thursday, January 22, 2009

We Can Work It Out

What is happening to me?! I know that I am suppose to orchestrate "family dinners" and that it is crucial that we sit down together at the same table to eat dinner, etc., etc.,... it's just that I'm not real keen on preparing an actual meal. Quite frankly, after a full day of work, and after being a referee for a half-hour commute, my appetite is not at the forefront of my mind. I know that my kids are starving after a day at school but I just can't bring myself to "whip something up" the moment I walk through the door.

Take today, for example: I pulled into our carport reminding the kids that I expected them to take everything that belonged to them out of the car. This started a vicious and never-ending feud between my daughter and myself that resulted in me losing my temper and ultimately sequestering myself in my bathroom with nothing but a glass or merlot and a novel to keep me company (talk about a briar patch!). I eventually came out, but only because I heard my husband's truck pull up in front of our house. He wanted me to join him in a cardio workout and so I did. (Have you ever tried to do a cardio workout after a glass or two of red wine? Let me tell you is it a heck of a lot more enjoyable than when you are serious about burning the fat!). By the time the cool down finally came I had the "warrior one" yoga pose mastered! It's interesting that, while I did not break a sweat or breathe heavily, I do have the b.o. to attest to the fact that I did, in fact, work out today. (I'll sweat later tonight when those hot flashes kick in!)

I know, I know...too much information...well, get used to it. For those of you who know me well-you know that my life is an open book. Things that others would be too embarrassed to admit I gush forth freely. I just feel that life is real and that we are all human and we all experience relatively the same things...like it or not. And that is why I can honestly tell you that, as I type this, only my daughter is left eating her dinner alone at the bar. My son is already finished eating and is in his room. My husband is on the couch and I am upstairs in my loft writing away. We are all under the same roof. We are all visible from every angle. But are we really connected? It is my hope that this weekend will bless us with time and attention. I want us to be able to play a new game together (thank you, LaRue) so we can share and laugh and enjoy. I hope we can relax and slow down as we celebrate the birthday of our nephew and cousin. I hope we can catch up and love...and maybe, just maybe, we can share a meal together at the same table.

No comments:

Post a Comment