Friday, January 2, 2009

Unplugged


Late last night while basking in the glow of all of the multicolored lights that I have decorated the inside of my house with I made the decision that all would be put away in the morning. Well, the morning has come and gone and my house is starting to look a little bare...but I like it. I am in a get rid of it all kind of mood these days. Every year I vow to simplify the holiday's decor but every time I look at each treasured piece of memorabilia I just can't seem to downsize. But, maybe I'd don't really need to...maybe it's all there to remind me of all that is magical and sweet. Maybe it's because these things are boxed up and stored away that make them so special to me.
Some days I want to box up everything else in the house...still keeping it all...just storing it away. Other days I want to put everything out in the open so that I can cherish it on a daily basis. Where is the balance? Lately I have been overwhelmed with stuff. I don't want to be a slave to all of my belongings. I don't want more but I can't part with what I already have. Maybe I attach too much of a memory with the things that I own. For me, everything has to tell a story...have meaning...not necessarily a purpose...but meaning.
So what is the story in all of this? Our happy holiday glow is fading? The lights are off but we're all still home? It was fun while it lasted? I'm beginning to wonder what will be plugging my outlet until next December...hmmm???

No comments:

Post a Comment