Thursday, January 1, 2009

Something's a Little Fishy




Don't you just hate it when you know what you want...when what you want is right there in front of your eyes...but you just can't quite reach it/have it/get it? Isn't it frustrating when the only thing separating you from reaching your goal is...you? So often what we seek is not only right in front of our eyes but within reach--if only we adjust our approach; our point of view.
There have been several times when the answer was a rather simple one but I had gone about finding it the hard way; kind of like Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz. Although I am not fortunate enough to own a pair of ruby slippers, I do have access to something even more powerful-prayer. As my thoughts turn toward the new year ahead of me I can't help but to think of things such as my 20th high school reunion, my family, my parents, my dilapidated life. Will I be able to remain positive and focused? Will I be able to muster enough patience to make it through a single day? Will I find myself at the end of '09 thinking and doing the exact same things I've been thinking and doing my whole life? Will I be a good parent? Will my kids make smart decisions and wise choices? Obviously I can't spend the next 364 days worrying about all of these things...this is where prayer comes in to play. I don't want to come across as being flippant, but I have found a way to let go of all of that which makes me feel queasy...all that hinders me and weighs me down...I pray. God is so amazing that He would do this for me...he takes it all so I don't have to succumb to fear or worry. The hard part is for me to remember to talk to Him about what's on my mind on a daily basis. But, whenever I do, He lifts the burdens away and I am able to sleep at night.
Like my cat, Snickers, I am growing tired of chasing after the things that I want in life only to find out I had seen them in a refracted light...everything was not quite as it seemed. Perhaps the things that I have been longing for most have been right in front of me the whole time...maybe it is time to adjust my approach; my point of view...and pray.

No comments:

Post a Comment