Saturday, January 3, 2009

TypeWriter


I couldn't resist posting this picture. It is of my grandmother's Corona Standard typewriter; one of my most prized possessions. I treasure the poems that I have of hers...poems typed from this very typewriter. Looking at the keys I can't help but to think of the fancy texting phones that many of us carry today; so different from the permanence of the age old typewriter. There was something so grand and yet mysterious about that heavy piece of black metal. It was so stationary and yet it connected so many people. There was nothing secret or private about typing on it-unless you were completely alone. The clunking of the keys and the ding of the return let anyone within earshot know that something was being produced. Today, people can quietly and secretly text without even looking at their phone--strangers unaware.
I have always gotten a thrill out of receiving a message; a letter; a phone call...anything that meant I was thought of. Today, I am able to send and receive text messages and enjoy the ease of it all. Even though my cell phone does not have a QUERTY keypad I am still able to get by. I love, love, love my home computer and my portable NEO...if for no other reason than the sheer joy I get out of typing on them. I don't know what it is about words that gets me going but I do know that they are meant to be a part of my life. I hope to be stringing them together for as long as I am able...perhaps one of these days my words will speak volumes.

No comments:

Post a Comment