Monday, January 26, 2009

Stepping Up


When we are little everything is out of reach. But, somehow, we manage to find a way to get what we are after. Sometimes we just want a peek; to see what the grown ups see. When we are on the other side of those tippy toes we realize that the good stuff really is getting to lick the icing off of the cake topper. Sure, we've been told "No" even as adults, but we still sometimes just want a little peek; not so much to see it all, but to be included in the seeing aspect of it. It boils down to wanting to be a part of all that is going on around us. Sometimes the viewing is simple: we just need to open our eyes and enjoy. Other times the sight before us can be blinding and not really what we wanted to see at all. Mostly though, I have found that if I want to catch a glimpse of something that is important to me I have to step up and even step over all of the things that stand in my way.
Just the other night, while having a conversation with God, I had what I can honestly call a vision (I'd call it a dream but I wasn't asleep). I had asked God to show me how to deal with a certain situation in my life. The image that played out in my mind went something like this: I was walking through a black-walled canyon. The walls were craggy and steep and the pathway was narrow and crumbly. With each step that I took large chunks of black rock separated from and slid down the canyon walls. There were times the rock pile before me was taller than I was, but I still walked forward. I was never crushed by the boulders...I simply climbed over them (and every time I got to the top of a pile I noticed that the rock was flat--perfect for standing on and observing from). I took away the message that I should not let anything stand in my way of going where I want to go. There will be times when the going won't be so smooth-but hey, that's life. When I was finished praying I felt stronger...taller...as if I were on my tippy toes...getting a little peek at the Good Life.

No comments:

Post a Comment