Saturday, August 16, 2008

I've Got a Gut Feeling

All of this talk about babies has me thinking about my own...belly. Back when I was pregnant the only cute maternity clothes were from The Pea in the Pod and they were out of my price range. I was so excited to be pregnant that I wanted everyone to know that I was expecting. So I went to the store that housed the clothes in my price range: Solo Serve...the one on San Pedro...next to the mall that housed The Pea in the Pod. I thought that I was being so very frugal and clever by not even buying maternity clothes, but instead clothes in larger sizes. This ingenious "trick" of mine helped me in my endeavor to appear as pregnant as possible for ALL 10 months of my pregnancy.

Not wanting to completely miss out on the maternity clothes "experience" I did find a top that had none other than WIDE VERTICAL STRIPES of navy and white combined with a sailor's knot of red underneath a rounded bib of a "collar." Just stretch on some navy leggings and some simple white Keds and Whallah! You've got yourself one unmistakably pregnant nautical nightmare. Ever since then I've only seen beautifully pregnant bellies...never the tent. That's right...the bellies are exposed, if only by an inch or two. The mothers-to-be are all into tight, form fitting clothing. And here's the kicker...they look great!

One other word about bellies: stretchmarks. I am a little dumbfounded about these "badges of honor." You see, I somehow managed to make it through two pregnancies without acquiring any stretchmarks...but just the other day, while accidentally catching an unplanned glimpse of myself in the mirror- I saw them! Right there on the sides of my hips...I am stretching...but I am not pregnant. I have "badges of horror" as these came not from the miracle of life, but from the battle of a metabolism that shorted out. But, alas, I am okay with it all. Now, if I start lactating and craving a minivan then, by all means, bring in the intervention team!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment