Monday, August 25, 2008

School Daze

One down-174 more to go...school days that is. Today was suppose to be one of those mornings that set the tone for the entire school year. Today my daughter lost the privilege of sitting up front before the keys were in the ignition. After my out-loud prayer (said through gritted teeth) I peeled out in Duke's of Hazzard fashion and we careened down the highway en route to the first day of school. To the shock and amazement of the entire faculty we were actually there early. And I even made scrambled eggs this morning...go figure.

My daughter declared it a "bad hair day" from the get-go and my son must have pulled his shorts out from beneath on elephant as they were beyond ironing. Tears were shed (after the annual photo session in front of the crepe myrtle) and voices were raised. Why must it always be like this? Is is hormones? Is it stress? Is it, dare I say it, me?

The dog was locked away and took her anger out on the situation by shredding her bed and the newspaper left for her to ... uh...read. Thank goodness there were left-overs for us to eat tonight. Tomorrow it'll have to be something along the lines of crackers.

I had sweat running down my cheeks (take your pick) during the afternoon bus/car duty. So glad that I dressed up today. I actually had to wash everything that I wore! Ugh! Tomorrow promises more of the same as do the other 174 days. Being in the library I didn't have classes coming and going today but even so I am starting to wonder how it's all going to get done.

On a happy note both of my kids came home with smiles on their faces and each had positive things to say about their teachers and their experiences. That makes it all worth it--knowing that your kids' lives are moving along just fine. Right now school is their world and it is my prayer that they are successful in all that they attempt. I hope that they are able to find out some really cool things about their world and about themselves as well.

Today was a day of firsts: kindergarten for some, college for others. Today many parents let go of their kids' hands and waved goodbye; if only for a few hours. My daughter had her first male teacher. My son acquired his first football jersey. While our mornings may be rushed and our evenings may be crammed we cannot get these days back. So I choose not to think that today set the tone for the entire school year. Instead, I choose to believe that today was today-warts and all. That is why we all laughed when we got home and kissed each other goodnight after saying our "I love yous."

No comments:

Post a Comment