Saturday, August 16, 2008

What the Duck?!

So there's this dead duck in my loft...no...REALLY...there is a dead duck in my loft. He is lying on his back atop a log; arms spread open wide as if he were making a snow angel. Although I do believe that when one makes snow angels they also use their legs...they don't leave them sticking straight up in the air like...well...like a dead duck. By now you are probably wondering just how this could have happened. I know I have alluded to the fact that my housekeeping skills are not exactly in line with Martha's and there have been times when fruit flies and mice call our house their home. I do, however, try to keep it clean enough that wildlife won't seek out my house as the best place to curl up and die. But, speaking of wildlife, my brother-in-law stopped me before I went upstairs to my loft and told me that his stuffed duck mount was going to be spending a few nights up there in an effort to keep the real wildlife (the ones that are still ALIVE) from carrying it away. Okie Dokey. I mean, just how does one respond to that? And so for the past day and a half I have tried my best not to take a picture of my tiny dog sniffing around the duck.

Enough with the dead animal talk...let's talk about life; as in brand new life...new beginnings. Having just been around all of my colleagues for the past two days it is apparent that love lives have been anything but dead! There are so many pregnancies and new babies we look more like a maternity ward than an elementary school! Too bad the rest of us can't walk around in gowns and slippers as we labor through each day. You know, the start up of school is a lot like having a baby...actually it is a lot like having close to 700 babies (barf!). We troll up and down the hallways rubbing the small of our back (sore from standing all day). We find our closest colleague and spit out as many obscenities under our breath as we can to help alleviate the pain that often comes with trying to push the little darlings along. There are times when our water starts to break due to the lack of water breaks. And then, after 9 1/2 long months of carrying these little beings along we release them out into the world and we somehow forget all about the pain and suffering (well, not totally) and smile a glowing smile as we realize that our work is "done". We start our summers off with that glow of being able to get our bodies back...get our groove back...and then WHAM! We find out that just when we thought it was safe...we get "the letter" in the mail informing us that we are expecting again...and a whole new growth period begins.

No comments:

Post a Comment