Saturday, August 23, 2008

On the Big Screen

What if when we get to heaven we have to sit in an IMAX theater and watch our life play out before us? What if while it is playing our entire network of family and friends are in the audience with us...to see and hear all our hidden thoughts and actions...in High Definition nonetheless? I don't know about you, but I get that twisted gut feeling that always surfaces whenever someone tells me things like: "We need to talk." My mind starts racing and the wrinkles in my brain cringe tightly (probably trying to keep those thoughts from escaping). While I try to be a "good person" I am still far from my goal. I am gripped with fear knowing that I can't have any "do-overs" and wonder if I should contact anyone and everyone I've ever mumbled and grumbled about. Ugh. And then it struck me: what would it feel like to be a member of the viewing audience? Double Ugh. Now I'm starting to sweat and am feeling queasy. Why can't we all just get along?!

But what about a different scenario: what if the video of our life has been spliced and edited to show only our good qualities. What if we could invite the world to sit in and view us at our best? Would the movie be a brief commercial? A thirty minute sitcom? Or a life-long series that was so enjoyable to watch the audience lost all track of time? Talk about scary! You see, I think it is such a part of our human nature to have sinful thoughts and actions leak out of our being. But what if we started really trying to take the leading role in our lives knowing that only the good thoughts, actions and deeds would be showing on the Big Screen?

No comments:

Post a Comment