Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Male Call

We all like to think that we've still "got it" when it comes to the opposite sex. This afternoon I was the recipient of a generous gift of chocolate. Now, before any of you jump to conclusions, let me explain. While on my lunch break I made a mad dash to H.E.B. to pick up a few things so that I wouldn't have to make any pit stops after work. I didn't have anything all that exciting laid out on the conveyor belt; Kibbles and Bits, toothpaste, fluoride, paper plates. But the man behind me plunked down three cans of Hatch picante sauce and two tall bottles of Mildly Wild! barbecue sauce. Then, after a moment of obvious contemplation, he dashes out of line to retrieve a third bottle of sauce. I asked him if it was really that good and he said that, yes, it was. I then asked, "Is it Rudy's Bar-B-Que Sauce Good?" "Even better," was his reply. I told him that I was always looking for a good barbeque sauce and that I was going to take his word for it and grab me a bottle. So I dashed over to the end aisle display, and as soon as I got there I noticed that he was right behind me! He started explaining the different kinds there were and he suggested the "mildly hot."

When we were both back in line he told me that he is a mail carrier in the hill country and that today was his day off. He explained that an older gentelman on one of his routes introduced him to this barbeque sauce and that is how he knew about it. In a matter of minutes I learned that he has been a mail carrier for over 35 years and he loves what he does. As I was grabbing my bags to leave he reached over into the candy bin and grabbed a candy bar. He told me that he isn't a big sweet eater but that the 3 Musketeers with Mint was actually very good. I told him that I was going to stop at the sauce, but thanks anyway. He immediately thrust the candy bar into the hands of the checker so she could quickly scan it, and he handed it to me. "I'm getting this for you...I want you to try it!"

I have to say, that is one of the nicest things someone has done for me in a long time. A total and complete stranger bought me a candy bar...just because. I have to say, I couldn't decide whether to wolf that thing down pronto or save it until later. I ended up saving it until after work for my drive home. I put on my sunglasses, cranked up the radio, opened my sun roof, and enjoyed my 3 Musketeers;savoring each bite with the knowledge that I've still got it!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment