Thursday, August 14, 2008

This is Not Working for Me

Okay...so I knew this moment was coming. I set my alarm for 5:45 in the morning if for no other reason than to allow me time to "just be me" without the rushing about part of getting ready for work. I knew that I didn't have to leave for work until 7:00. Nevertheless I found myself with a wet towel around my head and nothing on but a robe at 7:00. My travel coffee mug...both of my travel coffee mugs were dirty (dirty beyond cleaning them dirty) and on a morning where I desperately needed caffeine. This called for desperate measures...I had to resort to the "travel thermos." My travel thermos is the kind that keeps liquids H-O-T but doesn't have one of those convenient sippy cup spouts. In the end I ended up never having my second or third cup of joe because of this...not a good start. I spent the first hour and a half of my "first morning awake before the roosters" writing out a full legal page list of instructions for my kids to follow while I was at work. I also decided to do the whole "take a shower/wash your hair" kind of routine since I had a legitimate excuse to do so. I ended up changing clothes three times since I "had nothing to wear" and the things that did fit looked ridiculous on me. Even after purchasing a few cute things over the summer I ended up wearing something I have worn 88 times before. I washed my hair and blew it dry only to end up wearing it in a ponytail. For some insane reason I smeared on BLUE eyeshadow (who knows what I was thinking...I was wearing navy okay?!).

On the drive to work the lens fell out of my favorite pair of sunglasses (I expected as much since they were crooked already due to the fact that my daughter sat on them the night before). My goal of "only carrying a small, lightweight purse this school year", was shot to hell the minute I crammed in my book (just in case), my pencil/pen/highlighter pouch, my tape recorder (you never know when a great thought will present itself), my tube of Zovirax (fever blisters always pop up at inservices), my bottle of Germ X, my sunglasses, several colors of lipstick/gloss (in case I needed to update my look), my work keys, i.d. badge and lanyard, my name tag, my blue tooth, cell phone, and wallet; my hair clips, my bills, and my perfume samples; my pill box, my coupons, and my OxyClean spray bottle. Of course I brought my camera bag (as I have vowed never to leave it behind again) and my school folder that houses my "important papers."

School isn't even in session yet and I am a mess. I came home to a messy house and kids who did not do their chores. I did not make dinner (what's new?) and thankfully grandparents stopped by unexpectedly and got the kids' Blizzards from Sonic. I am praying that they are "full" and will forget that dinner never really took place. I don't know what I'm going to do once they are in school.

On the way to work I listened in as a DJ described his wife's emotional roller coaster of emotions as she was taking their daughter to her first day of kindergarten. She kept going on and on about videotaping everything including her daughter's trip "up the big school steps" (what school has big steps?). I know I need to honor her emotions but all I can think about is when my own kids were finally going into kindergarten I was like: "HURRY UP! GET OUT OF THE CAR-I'M GOING TO BE LATE-SEE YOU LATER-BYE!"

No comments:

Post a Comment