Saturday, August 30, 2008

Are You Ready for Some Football?!

My first laundry load as a mother of a football player. My son has decided that he wants to get in on the pigskin action this year as an 8th grader. I am very excited for him. My husband is nervous and my dad is worried...I, on the other hand, am nothing but excited. I absolutely LOVE all things football...if only we could have fall weather during the entire season instead of the last game...

Tonight my son is attending his very first Texas A&M football game-in College Station nonetheless! He was asked to go by a friend of his and I am so thankful for the invite. One never knows when "the seed" is planted and I am hopeful that this experience will spark quite the interest in him...both for football as well as the whole "college experience." He has been known to wear the color orange from time to time...but that is only due to his love of the General Lee from the Dukes of Hazzard!!!

I have very fond memories of both the game of football as well as the football players themselves. I memorized the players' numbers (as well as their backsides) and I knew my offense from defense. I understood the downs and I especially liked that sweaty hair look. Okay...so football was more about the guys than the game. It was all just so darn appealing. The slap of the pads, the crack of the helmets connecting...the hard-hitting tackles and the zig-zagging yard-gainers...who wouldn't love those guys?! But in the end I learned the game and have loved it ever since. I love the lights and the energy that hovers over the field and drifts into the stadium. I love the aluminum bleachers and the moment when it is officially dark outside. Whistles blow, crowds cheer, and boys give it their all. Win or lose it is better entertainment than any reality show on television...and to think...this year my son will be one of the players. For the first time ever I don't think I'll mind doing laundry.

No comments:

Post a Comment