Friday, August 15, 2008

Something to Howl About

Today was one of those powerful days when you are actually glad that you showed up at work. I had the privilege of listening to the dynamic Angela Wigglesworth. She instantly charmed us with her beautiful smile, her delightful sense of humor, and her wonderful ability to tell a story. Her message was one of love and giving. She reminded us to help others every chance we can and to never be afraid to ask for help ourselves. When she spoke she did so from her soul, which one instantly recognized as a good one. I was most impressed with her delivery---she sure knows how to captivate a crowd. Angela, if you're reading this, I want to say "Thank You" for telling us your story! (For anyone interested in learning more about her you can visit her blog at http://www.littlewriggle.typepad.com/ ).

She got me thinking...what are my stories (as far as education is concerned)? Which moments made me know that I was where I was suppose to be? Which moments have yet to reveal themselves? As each new school year starts to unfold there is always a mixture of emotions that run through me. I find myself eagerly awaiting all things new: school supplies, outfits, seeing friends, meeting new teachers...much like when I was a kid in school myself. I also find myself having those back to school dreams a couple of weeks before school starts. You know...the ones where nothing goes right, you get lost, you hate it. In fact, just the other night I actually dreamed that my new book rep was none other than Wolf from the American Gladiators. He came howling through the front doors of the library dressed in red from head to toe; his wild hair following him; a motorcycle helmet tucked beneath his arm. If I were to attempt to analyze this myself I would have to say this: The 2008-2009 school year will get off to a red hot start. It will be a battle of American Gladiator proportions where the teachers work with the students encouraging them to try their best. We should expect the unexpected but never tire of preparing ourselves for the reward that lies ahead. There will no doubt be some howling and growling but hopefully we will rally as a pack and get the job done.

No comments:

Post a Comment