Wednesday, August 13, 2008

The More Things Change

Funny how the little things that once annoyed you don’t seem so bad after all. In fact, you actually find yourself welcoming them into your life. Take feeding the rabbit and listening to the incessant chatter of the parakeets for example. After just one day back at work I find myself looking forward to cleaning cages rather than being put back in one myself. I’d rather scoop it all out than have it all heaped upon me. But, such is the working world of which I am, unfortunately, a part of. After having spent many luxurious weeks at home doing what some would consider the mundane I am having to face the fact that the time I once claimed as my own is no longer that. But wait, maybe I can still carve out some of that time and reclaim it. Maybe I can go to bed a little earlier and rise a little earlier. Early enough to absorb the things that make me smile. Then, should my well run dry at work I will have a reservoir of memories to sustain me throughout the drought I consider work. I am so very grateful to have every summer off. I relish the opportunity to recharge and relinquish myself to all things slow and unhurried. My prayer for this coming school/work year is for inner peace. A quiet existence where I allow myself chances to take it all in and store it all up for future reference. I wish for self control and self assertiveness. I hope for happiness and contentment. I seek order and love. I hope for a life well lived.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The above entry was written on August 15, 2006. I found it while I was going back through all of my old journal entries and printing them out. I find it amazing that no matter the year my feelings remain the same. This entry could have very well been written today…except for the fact that the rabbit and parakeets have died. I hope it wasn’t because I went back to work and thus neglected their basic needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment