Saturday, July 26, 2008

And the Oscar Goes To

Oh she's good....my daughter has been laying on the guilt heavily. She wants so desperately to be included in my girls' weekend at the lake. She loves my friends and they love her back. While I am grateful to have been blessed with a daughter (both of my friends have sons) I am in great need of some adult time alone. I used to seethe whenever I would read those two words, "adult time," in my parenting books and magazines. I used to think "those people" were just selfish individuals who probably shouldn't have had children in the first place. I thought I was well on my way to an Oscar for my winning performance as MOM. Turns out I won...only it was an Oscar the Grouch award complete with silver trash can trophy.

Now I know better. Now I can honestly concede to the "conceited." Now that I have taken off my fog of motherhood glasses I can clearly see that "those people" were right. And Now I am one of them.

I am looking forward to the days when my daughter does accompany me on trips like these. I am looking forward to my friends embracing her and seeing her through all of the stages that we have already been through. I am blessed to have a daughter and I want her to want to be with me and my girlfriends. I just don't want it to be this weekend.

There is nothing wrong with sacrificing for your children. There is everything wrong with sacrificing yourself. I love my children dearly. I did not have them so that I could leave them at home to go play with my friends. The thing is this: I am in need of a recharge. I am in a season of reflection and growth. I just signed on for a role as MOM of TEENAGERS and I am hoping to walk the red carpet when the director calls it a wrap. In the name of research I am going away for the weekend...and I hope to come home with an Academy Reward.

No comments:

Post a Comment