Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Shopping With Kids...Not Recommended

What has happened to me? I am sitting on my bed drinking a beer in a floor length, zippered, velour robe (and that’s only because my family is home). I do not want anything touching me. I took off all of my jewelry; including my earrings (and I always wear jewelry). I even went so far as to take off my favorite raspberry toenail polish. My face is washed and my hair is clean. So why am I so desperate to cleanse myself and rid myself of … well…myself? I’ll tell you why. I went to San Antonio with my children today. For you mothers out there that sentence should pretty much sum it all up, but for those without children, or heaven forbid, those of you with perfect children let me “take you there.”

It all started with a 9:45 doctor’s appointment for my son. As simple as that may sound it wasn’t (as you’ll come to find out reading my blog nothing in my life is simple). To start things off I had to bring my daughter along (read: sibling rivalry…make that brother/sister rivalry). To complicate things (on a double standard level) my husband was not going to be home (although he is off from work today)…therefore he would “not be available” to watch our daughter. He made it very clear that since he was “on vacation” he needed to go into town to take care of some business (clothes and tool shopping). Thus the first pebble was released into my shoe. Seeing as I am “on vacation” too I needed to take care of some business too (like taking our son to the pediatric cardiologist). A few echocardiograms and dopplar sonograms later I decided to make the most out of our gas tank and knock out some shopping.

This did not bode well with the kids…my son especially. I don’t blame them, but geez louise…if I didn’t go then who knew when my “next chance” would be? I needed to pick up a birthday present and I quite simply just wanted to know that “everything was still there.” I looked at several purses and started to openly recognize this as a sign I was crying out for help (I have ENOUGH bags already!). I had to put up with grunts and groans and constant whispers of “…it’s time to go now…it’s time to go now…” Every time I turned around I bumped into one of them. They were practically stepping on me. All their life I had taught them to “stay close.” Today I was given the evil eye by store employees and other shoppers (sans kids) as I continually yelled at my kids to “Go Away!” In all honesty I wanted them far far away because I wanted to fondle merchandise without anyone else’s comments. I wanted to make a decision without a spy or tattletale. I wanted to be a grown up.

Looking back I should have gone straight home after the doctor’s appointment (that’s why I had originally scheduled it so darn early in the morning in the first place!). It’s just that while my husband can come and go and do what needs to be done on a whim I am never able to. Yes, I’m jealous. Yes, I’m pissed. Yes, I’m already planning my getaway…and when I do…I already have the perfect purse to take me there!

No comments:

Post a Comment