Monday, July 21, 2008

Incoming Message

As a mother I often wonder if anything I say or do gets across to my kids. When they were babies they were my central focus; my purpose. Now that they are 11 & 13 my focus has shifted...to me. I can't help it. I feel like I am "done." Then I feel guilty for wanting to be done. I know mothers are never done raising their kids...but I feel especially drained. I try to make myself feel better by calling what I am doing (or not doing to be more accurate) "preparing them for 'the real world.'" Frankly I am too tired from burning the candle at both ends for so long.

And then, last night, I got a text message from my son (he was spending the night at his grandparents') that read: "Good Night I love you." And in that second I felt the chills of "a moment" pass over me. To have your children initiate and envoke love...FOR YOU and TO YOU has got to be one of the greatest rewards of motherhood. I finally felt like maybe something I did or said resonated and really was absorbed. And while I don't spend as much time or attention to detail with them as I once did I am grateful that I put them first while building their foundation.

No comments:

Post a Comment