Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Somebody Knows

Since I was not in the mood to go to bed I stowed away in my loft to type up a few entries. Before I got two paragraphs in my daughter was up the stairs needing my suggestions on what she should think about (she needs "happy thoughts" before falling asleep). I offered up the usual: Christmas, cousins, cooking. I figured she was set and went to work typing again. Before I knew it I could hear her feet stepping up the wooden stairs. What now? When I turned to look at her I noticed that her face was red and wet from tears. She was visibly upset and thus earned a spot on my couch. While I am not a licensed psychologist I do play one at home. My thirteen year old couch is always ready for sad visitors. I keep my favorite fuzzy pink blanket, black velour robe, two pillows, and a small brown and pink polka dot squishy pillow on it at all times. By the sound of silence to my right I think it is working.

Seems to me that when life gets a little too tough, a little too scary, or a little too sad it is best if we can surround ourselves with someone who truly cares for us. Someone who will listen to our stories; someone who will wipe away our tears; someone who knows how to stock a couch.

No comments:

Post a Comment