Saturday, July 19, 2008

A Thief in the Night

Last night, while sitting on the small tailgate of our old Willys Jeep, my husband and I were talking in the full moon's light. The jeep was parked at our barn near our garden. While I hate to interrupt others when they are talking I stopped my husband in mid-sentence. About 15 feet in front of us a dark, rounded shadow waddled into my line of sight. I knew immediately it was a raccoon. Both of us had flashlights in hand and we jumped down to follow the coon as it picked up speed and lumbered on down our drive. My husband and I returned to the jeep and after a few minutes heard a faint noise to our right. My husband aimed his light in the direction of the sound and found a masked bandit feasting on some roasted sunflower seeds that had been tossed onto the ground.

We sat and watched this beautiful creature delicately finger the seeds and blink it's eyes. We knew he saw us but he was determined to plunder. He was less than 5 feet from us. I grabbed my cell and called for the kids to come down from the house with my camera bag. When they got there we were able to snap some pics and enjoy the moment. At one point the raccoon scuttled off but quickly returned. Another raccoon showed up in the corner of our garden...we were surrounded!

I could not help but to think of God and His magnificent design. That He would create a creature that dons a black mask and steals from people...you've just got to love it! I feel so blessed to be able to raise our kids in the country. There are times when the dust and the dirt, the lack of stores and the lack of friends can become inconvenient. But then there are times like tonight: when you can sit outside on the back of a jeep beneath a full moon watching a wild animal doing what it does naturally. When the loudest noises are the whispers of your family and the crunching of sunflower seeds.

No comments:

Post a Comment